Seafood Curry with Ella's Olive Toasted Sesame Garlic and Ginger Oil
This is one of my family's favourite, easy, quick and all in one pot. If you have an Asian market nearby, it makes it even easier. You can also substitute chicken thighs instead of seafood.
Seafood ( 1 lb of each: mussels, scrubbed and beards removed, scallops, x-large shrimp, cleaned/deveined), 1 medium size filet of firm white fish ( cod, halibut, rockfish) cut into large pieces.
1 large onion cut into large chunks
2-3 large carrots, cut into 1" rounds
1 green pepper - cut into large chunks
6 garlic cloves - crushed and minced
2 TBSP of fresh ginger, minced
2-3 stalks of lemongrass, outer tough leaves and green ends removed
4 TBSP of Sesame Garlic and Ginger Oil
2 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
1- 2 TBSP of red curry paste, can substitute yellow curry, or any other curry paste available
1/3 cup of sweat mirin wine
Juice from 1 lime
1 bottle of clam juice ( or if you are doing chicken, 1 cup of chicken broth)
Salt and Pepper
1 - 2 TBS of chopped cilantro
Rice - 2 cups of steamed short-grain rice.
1. Season scallops and fish pieces w/ salt and pepper.
2. Preheat 2 TBSP of Sesame oil in a non-stick skillet and sear scallops and fish, a few pieces at a time for 2- 3 minutes on all sides. Remove, and deglaze the pan with some mirin wine. Reserve it and add it to the ovenproof pot in step
3. In an ovenproof pot, preheat remaining sesame oil, saute onion, garlic, carrots ginger, lemongrass stalks until softened ( 10 min) on med heat.
4. Add curry paste and mix with onion mixture for 5 min
5. Add wine, clam juice, lime juice, and deglaze liquid from step 2. Bring to a slow simmer.
6. Add mussels and shrimp, cover and cook until shrimp is pink and mussels begin to open.
7. Add 2 cans of coconut milk, stir, and bring to a slow simmer.
8. Add cooked scallops and fish, stir gently and heat through. Be careful not to break up the fish.
9. Add salt to taste.
10 Serve over cooked rice with chopped cilantro as a garnish.